Friday, August 26, 2011

Missing the Details~~ thoughts from Mum

So, staying in touch with your girl via smart phone/gchat is, well, different. I'm used to phone calls, the longer gchat sessions (we are usually both at work, and converse throughout the day). I miss the details! I like details! Although it's been fun to read the blog entries, I think the "best" conversation I've had with Nicole went something like this...




Nicole: you there?
I know you bought a bunch of shirts - I was wondering who they were for?
me: I got the medium red polo for me, the xl blue polo for bob, the visor for you/me and two extra t's...one for ron and not sure about the other

On my phone at giant
Nicole: okay sounds good
word is t-shirts are pretty expensive
and the conversation continues on through the grocery store - the stay-at-home mom's are giving me the evil eye for 'texting while shopping' and almost running their small children over with my cart - one adult texting while shopping, 25 children not watching where they are going...not a good mix!
so I stopped at the end of the isle and in my head, thought, you all just don't understand - if I don't gchat with her now, she will be in the bed by the time I get home. Sheesh!!
NO CHILDREN WERE RUN OVER AT GIANT!

We continue to talk about my bad rowing habits, ok, well my areas of improvement b/c we all have them and we all need to watch ourselves and work towards a better more efficient stroke. Nicole is watching the video from OBX. I love honest, direct feedback - sometimes it's hard...we have a conversation in our own head as to why I do this or that....but, what would things be like if every time we replaced the word obstacle (or any synonym) with the word opportunity.....how would that change your perspective? (I am down to 1:40 head start on
Bob in the 4 mile chase down - good benchmark for me! Isn't technology a wonderful thing?

Nicole: yeah watch the video
other big thing is the port blade to the water
not as fast as starboard
it's really common
you miss a little on that side
a drill that helps me is one stroke no pressure one stroke pressure (medium) alternating
thinking about unwieghting the hands
to get the quick catch (hmm...pretty sure I have used that description before ;-)
me: will do
Nicole: okay i Need to go eat! (notice the need is capitalized...I wonder if that is on purpose;) xoxox
me: will do
12:53 PM
12:54 PM



We have had a few short gchat sessions since this one...but, it's obvious the focus is on ...so, I will continue to keep myself updated (the start list is up - here - http://www.worldrowing.com/events/2011-world-rowing-championships). I've also enjoyed reading all the other awesome blogs that can be found here - http://www.row2k.com/worlds/blog.cfm and please help these girls out by giving at the First Giving link above or the NRF link in a post below!

Carol ~ Nicole's mum
GO USA!


No comments:

Post a Comment